If you’re a student, you know that living expenses can pile up really high, really quick. Rent is expensive. Food is expensive. Textbooks are expensive. Everything is expensive! The good news is that there are some strategies in place which students can take advantage of to ease their cost of living. One such strategy is using student discounts!
Though student discounts won’t instantly transform your finances, they will help a lot. This post will cover some of the best student discounts available to you in 2021! Hopefully you’ll find something that can help you with the costs of being a student.
Best Student Discounts of 2021
When it comes to student discounts, a lot of different companies offer them. In fact, so many useful companies have student discounts that it’d be hard to talk about them without categorization.
For that reason, we’ve split up these student discounts into 5 different categories:
- Cell phone plans
There are different companies that offer student discounts in all sorts of different industries. Make sure to take advantage of as many of them as you can.
One category where you’ll find lots of discounted items for students is clothing! With your college ID in hand, you could save on anything from hoodies to shoes to slacks. There are tons of coupon codes promo codes you can use as well.
Here are a few places you can get a discount for clothing as a student:
- Banana Republic – Save 15% on all your fully priced, in-store purchases with Banana Republic.
- Club Monaco – With any full-price AND sale item in-store or online, you can receive 15% off. All you need to do is register an account with Club Monaco with a .edu school email address.
- Levi’s – Looking for a new pair of jeans? You can receive 25% off all Levi’s apparel when you verify your student status. Just answer a few questions and you’re good to go!
- Topshop – If you’re looking to style it up, you’ll be happy to learn that Topshop offers students 10% off 24/7!
- Champs Sports – Love sporting apparel? You can save 20% of your next purchase with Champs Sports by verifying your student status with Student Beans.
- Dockers – To receive Dockers’ student offer of 25% off all apparel, just enter some information about your school and your email address and you’re set!
- Sally Beauty Club – You can start saving immediately with Sally Beauty Club as soon as you sign up for a student card. You’ll receive a percent off each purchase and join their exclusive discount program.
- American Eagle – Get 20% off your purchases with American Eagle now when you register with UNiDAYS.
- Nasty Gal – You can get a whopping 62% off everything at Nasty Gal when you register with Student Bean!
- Dr. Martens – For all the shoelovers out there, you can receive 15% off all shoes at Dr. Martens when you register and confirm your student identity with UNiDAYS.
- J. Crew – When you shop with a valid college ID in any J. Crew store, you can receive 15% off your purchase!
As you can see, there are TONS of places that offer student discounts for clothing. From Banana Republic to American Eagle, you’re sure to find a place you love to shop at which can ALSO save you money.
But clothing usually isn’t the only thing you need to buy for back to school. You also have to think about buying…
With more and more young adults using technology every year, tech companies have found it very profitable to target this demographic.
It just so happens that MOST young adults are also… students! As such, lots of the big technology companies you know and love have been offering discounts for students or discount programs on a lot of their items.
Here are a few tech companies for which you have a student advantage to buy from:
- Adobe – Full-time students and teachers alike can save over 60% on certain Adobe products.
- Apple – You can receive a special discount for students on a ton of Apple products whether you’ve been recently enrolled or have been newly accepted to a college/university.
- Dell – With Dell, you can get student deals tallying over 20% off your purchase: great news for laptop and tablet lovers alike!
- Microsoft – You can almost always get a discount from Microsoft if you’re a student. Discounts are available on their website for PCs, Xbox consoles, accessories, and more.
- Lenovo – Using ID.me, you can save an extra 5% sitewide with any Lenovo purchase.
- Sony – If you’re a gamer, you’ll love to hear this piece of news. Using Adorama to confirm your identity, you can save anywhere from 15% to 40% on select Sony devices!
- HP – By registering an account with HP, you, as a student, can receive exclusive deals and offers.
- Norton – With all this technology, you’ll want some protection against viruses and computer bugs. With Norton, not only can you protect your computer, but you can also receive coupon codes and college student discounts tallying up to 40% of the total purchase price!
With all of these discounts and promotional offerings, you can get cheap prices on almost any piece of tech you want without breaking your bank. Some of these great deals are only available in certain seasons, but most are actually year-round.
This is all fine and great for general purposes and if you’re studying online. But what if you happen to be studying abroad or in a country far away from home? well, there are student discounts for that too…
For all the students who aren’t going to school right by their home (or even for students who just want to travel a lot), this section is for you.
Here are some of the best travel discounts available to you as a student:
- Choice Hotels – If you’re visiting different places or need a temporary place to stay, hotels are a fantastic option. You’ll be pleased to learn that Choice Hotels offers up to 10% off prices for participating hotels. These include Comfort Inn, Quality Inn, Cambria Suites, and more!
- Greyhound – With the Student Advantage Discount Card, students can get up to 10% off Greyhound Travel or 15% off Greyhound Shipping.
- Amtrak – Sometimes flying is too expensive and not worth it. Trains are a great alternative! As a student, you can save over 15% on train tickets with Amtrak!
- Flixbus – Using the Flixbus app, you can get a discount code which will provide you with 10% off your bus tickets.
- Qatar Airways – By joining the Student Club with Qatar Airways you immediately receive a promo code to get 10% off your first booking, 15% off your second, and 20% off your third! On top of this, by being in the Student Club, you’ll also gain access to additional baggage allowance, complimentary wifi, and a companion pass.
- Rail Europe – If you’re a college student in Europe, you’ll be pleased to learn that you can save up to 25% on rail travel with Rail Europe.
- Coach USA – You can get exclusive deals and discounts with Coach USA if you attend certain universities. Check their website to see if you currently attend one of the schools which they offer discount services to.
- SIXT – If you’re younger than 25 years old, SIXT offeres 25% off their car rental services. Great if you need to move your stuff to a new campus far away from home.
No need to fret if your university/college is far away, as these student discounts will have you covered!
Now onto another important aspect of student life...
Cell Phone Plans
When you head off to college/university for the first time, chances are your parents will want you to start paying for your own stuff. One of the first things they’ll probably defer to you is the cost of your cell phone plan. So you’ll probably want to know what the cheapest plans are out there and what discounts are available to you (lest you run out of data only for it never to be replenished again!)
Here are some of the best student discounts for cell phone plans:
- AT&T – From phones to tablets to smartwatches AT&T has all the perks you could ever want. It’s a good thing, then, that they also have awesome discounted cell phone plans for students!
- Verizon – When you confirm your identity with UNiDAYS and sign up for a cell phone plan with Verizon, you gain access to the $60/mo Verizon unlimited plan (saving you $10/month!), the $95/mo two line plan, and much much more.
- Sprint – As soon as you verify your identity with Sprint, you gain access to a whole bunch of exclusive savings and special offers unavaible to non-students.
- T-Mobile – Although you won’t get any discounts on phone plans with T-Mobile, you WILL get over $60 back from any smart phone purchase you make with them (still a win!)
With all of these options available, it’s up to you to choose the best discount on phone plans which will suit your needs.
Miscellaneous / Subscriptions
At last, some things you pay on a subscription basis (or just can’t be categorized)… well, there are student discounts for these items too!
Here are the best student discounts on miscellaneous items and subscriptions:
- Amazon – Perhaps one of the best student discounts on the web is with Amazon Prime. With Amazon Prime Student, you can enjoy all the perks of Prime for 6 months free (including free shipping and cheap two day shipping), and then enjoy Prime at just half price!
- Spotify, HULU, Showtime – When you sign up for a Spotify Premium account as a college student, you only need to pay $4.99/mo. Not only is this already cheaper than the original $9.99 price, but you ALSO gain access to HULU and SHOWTIME. You’ll have access to more music and tv and movies than you’ll know what to do with.
- General Motors College Discount – Eligible college students can now buy a truck or car from GM and receive a hefty student discount.
- FedEx – Maybe you forgot something at home or want to send a gift to a friend. With FedEx Student Discount Club, these don’t have to be pricy transactions. You can get up to 30% savings with your student ID card in hand.
- Grammarly – As a student, you often need to write essays and papers for your classes. The Grammarly student discount is a true boon to your finances as you can get 20% off this popular AI writing helper tool. Totally worth it!
From Amazon to cars to shipping, there truly is a student-based discount out there for anything you could ever need.
Student living isn’t cheap. You have to worry about providing for yourself while ALSO keeping up with your studies. That’s why we’ve compiled some of the best student discounts in this post.
Some tips to note:
- Make sure to look out for special promotional days where you can get additional discounts (like Black-Friday or Mother’s Day or Prime Day).
- If you’re using a coupon, make sure to remember to present your code at checkout.
- Have your email-address handy as a lot of these companies verifying you (Student Beans and UNiDAYS) for discounts and exclusive deals verify you based on the .edu ending of your email.
- Double check to make sure you’re eligible for a discount (companies can change their policies in the blink of an eye)
- Have a piece of photo id handy (a lot of the verification services also require your photo ID along with a student card or student ID)
So there you have it: the best student discounts of 2021. You now have access to some of the best deals on the market for students today. So what are you waiting for? Get out there, start stocking up, and starting using your student advantage to the fullest!
Jeff is a Harvard 2025 student passionate about making smart financial decisions both in school and in the workplace so that he can spend more time doing what he loves (like playing golf, spending time with family, and travelling). He has experience working in the financial industry and enjoys sharing all things personal finance, academic, and golf-related. Outside of blogging, he loves to cook, read, and golf in his spare time.